Fedora vs RedHat

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Nov 3 06:21:35 UTC 2008

Craig White wrote:
> On Sun, 2008-11-02 at 21:54 -0600, Les Mikesell wrote:
>> Chris Tyler wrote:
>>> Fedora gets security fixes and updates for two releases + 1 month, or
>>> about 13 months total.
>> But read the list of bug fixes in the updates to understand why you
>> really don't want to upgrade anything important until after about 6
>> months after a release.
> ----
> for S & G's, name a new release OS of any type, FLOSS or proprietary
> that you felt comfortable jumping all over with 'anything important'
> before it had 6 months under it's belt.

CentOS has been solid from day 1, at least for versions 3, 4, and 5.  Of
course by the time it gets released there has been some time for RHEL to
have pushed updates for anything drastically wrong, and RHEL is pretty
well tested before release anyway.  But, even if you hold off 6 months
while testing your own apps on the new OS and working out ways to take
advantage of any new features, you still have 6 1/2 years of update
support life left with RHEL/Centos.  With fedora, by the time you might
trust a release the update support is almost over.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com