Preventing USB automount

Tom Horsley tom.horsley at att.net
Mon Nov 3 21:49:50 UTC 2008

On Mon, 3 Nov 2008 15:18:55 -0600 (CST)
"Steve Berg" <sberg at mississippi.com> wrote:

> Is there an easy rule to create for udev that will turn off that function?

I don't know about "easy", but I'm sure it can be done. Here is an
example of a file I have in my /etc/hal/fdi/policy/ directory thanks
to the folks on the hal mailing list who helped me figure it out:

filename is: 10-stop-hal-stop.fdi

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

<deviceinfo version="0.2">
  <device>
    <match key="volume.label" string="BACKUP">
       <merge key="volume.ignore" type="bool">true</merge>
    </match>
  </device>
</deviceinfo>

This tells hal not to notify anyone about the disk partition
on my removable USB drive named "BACKUP"

The lshal utility can tell you zillions of things about the
devices hal knows about which would probably let you eventually
construct some keys to match to do what you want to do by
ignoring removable devices.