SANE Support in Fedora 9 for HP

Sam Varshavchik mrsam at courier-mta.com
Tue Nov 4 03:00:32 UTC 2008

Jeff Maxwell writes:

> I have a very old HP OfficeJet 630 parallel port multifunction
> printer/scanner/fax machine.
>
> Prior to Fedora 9, I had no problems with xsane/sane recognizing the
> scanner function.
>
> After installing Fedora 9 and going to the Software Add to include the
> HP support for sane, xsane still can not find my device.
>
> I have installed it as a printer without any issues.

This scanner is not listed as a supported scanner by sane:

http://www.sane-project.org/sane-supported-devices.html

However, googling around suggests that there's some support in hplip:

http://hplipopensource.com/hplip-web/models/officejet/officejet_series_630.html

Make sure you have the hplip rpm installed.