mplayer dependencies on RPM Fusion

john wendel jwendel10 at comcast.net
Tue Nov 4 03:10:49 UTC 2008

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Tue, 4 Nov 2008 01:25:29 +0100, Andras Simon wrote:
>
>> In other words, my question is not about whether mplayer really
>> depends on those other packages, but whether it should depend on them.
>>  And I still think that downloading the rpm file will not answer this.
>> (I may very well be wrong, of course.) Browsing mplayerhq.hu
>> may. Or asking about it here.
>
> Well, with the downloaded pkg I showed that /usr/bin/mplayer actually is
> linked against the Samba Client library. That library would not be
> available during compilation if it weren't pulled in as a build
> requirement of some sort. The pkg could also contain documentation
> files which mention the SMB features in mplayer. ;)
>
> Btw, RPM Fusion runs a list for its users:

If you ever build mplayer for the sources, you'll see that it has about
a hundred configuration options, most of which a "normal" user doesn't
need or want. Note that I said configuration "options", not
"requirements" (big difference). Looks like the package maintainer has
chosen to include them all, including the kitchen sink. But what else
could he do? Definitely a case where you might be better off rolling
your own version.

Regards,

John