Which one is better Ubuntu Or Fedora 9

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Tue Nov 4 20:37:04 UTC 2008

On 11/04/2008 02:56 PM, Dave Ihnat wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 12:31:51PM -0700, Craig White wrote:
>
>> because...
>> <snip>
>>

> And:
>
>   4.  The Ubuntu life cycle is much longer than Fedora, making it more
>       stable for production environments.

I don't particularly buy that argument. If you are looking for stability
in production environments, then you need to compare the Enterprise
distributions, such as RHEL and CentOS. With Ubuntu you can chose LTS or
Normal, and you can purchase a support contract. Fedora (and OpenSuSe
for that matter) is not intended for a corporate production environment.
It includes all the bells and whistles because the user community
demands these where a corporate production desktop or server needs more
stability. I currently run Ubuntu (8.10 Intrepid Ibex) on my personal
laptop, Fedora 9 on my corporate HP Integrity (IA64) Workstation, and
Fedora 9 on my x86_64 desktop at home. I happen to like the fact that
Ubuntu has a decent LiveCD with an easy installer. Fedora and OpenSuSE
are more traditional in that they provide more bits on the installation
media. Aditionally, it is my perception that both Red Hat and Novel give
more back to the OpenSource community. I know that Red Hat and SuSE both
has a number of kernel developers on staff.

But, in the original question, which one is better, Fedora 9 or Ubuntu,
I could not begin to answer that, and I use them both every day.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix