Which one is better Ubuntu Or Fedora 9

Alex Makhlin makhlina at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 21:48:36 UTC 2008

Michael H. Warfield wrote:
> I probably should stay out of this...  But...
>
> On Tue, 2008-11-04 at 11:17 -0800, Alex Makhlin wrote:
>
>> Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:

>>> Nope - just trying to point out that there is no correct answer to
>>> the OPs question. It depends on too many factors for the answer to
>>> be the same in all situations. The OP has not given us enough
>>> information to even take a guess on what would be best for him.
>>>
>>> Mikkel
>>>

>> My original question was based on the fact that Ubuntu is used on
>> either pre installed Linux systems and on what they call "Linux
>> friendly" computers which Ubuntu is recommended for. So my question is
>> why did they choose Ubuntu? What makes it so special? I personally
>> like Fedora far better for my own personal reasons. I don't even touch
>> my Vista Ultimate 64 partition any more. But again, why is the
>> mainstream market choosing Ubuntu?
>>

> 	IMHO (take it for what it's worth)...
>
> 	Fedora has been accused of being "Beta", which is very wrong.  It's not
> beta at all but it is EA.  But it's not EA in the sense of "Early
> Availability", which you see from a lot of commercial outfits like Sun.
> It's more EA as in "Early Adopters" where we get more of the newest
> toots and whistles, whether they're fully baked and prime time or not.
> It's really for people who are not afraid to climb under the hood (to
> get back to the auto analogy) and tinker and tune, if you have to or if
> you want to (as oppose to some distributions where you don't have a
> choice).
>
> 	Ubuntu, OTOH, is really geared for the "non-gearheads".  You might not
> see as many toots and whistles (but I'm really impressed with what I do
> see) but it will have a lot more than RHEL (which is more server
> oriented) and it will be pretty darn stable and supported over a much
> longer life cycle (big support pluses).
>
> 	Fedora is stable but does still pop enough surprises on me that I would
> not recommend it to my non-techie friends (and only some of my
> techie-friends, depending on their talent and predisposition to pester
> me).  I would (and do) recommend Ubuntu in a heartbeat.  I have an old
> high school friend who is a school bus driver who was given some old
> machines.  Would I plague her with Fedora and have her figure out what
> went wrong when something goes bump and I don't know what hardware she
> has in the bucket?  I don't think so.  I'm installing Ubuntu on a
> machine right now for my daughter and wouldn't hesitate to do the same
> for either of my grandsons.  I don't think I would give them Fedora.
> Certainly not F10 or F9.  I'm a little less hesitant about F8, but
> that's already nearing its end of life with F10 coming out.  That's not
> the cycle I want any of them on, upgrading their machines every 6-12
> months or be SOL on updates.  Nope, wrong answer.  Right answer for me,
> wrong answer for them.  My son on the other hand is just as proficient
> [...]
Hi and thank you for your clear answer,

Yes I agree that Fedora 9 is not a Beta or an EA. I find Fedora 9 to be
a great distribution and am looking forward to Fedora 10. Fedora 9 still
has a few bugs but we are all working on them and they do get resolved
quite quickly. As far as I concluded, I am sticking with Fedora.