PLEASE HELP - Video Resolution keeps changing

Jim mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
Wed Nov 5 17:22:58 UTC 2008

FC 8 KDE
Using the nv or nividia driver,the Video resolution keeps changing after
I set it in system-config-display to 1024x768.
It always changes to higher resolution after rebooting box.
I have four other new Linux users that are having the same problem, and
they very unhappy with Linux because of this.
What is causing this problem ??
I use KDE and so does the other four new LInux users, and I can't update
to FC 9 or 10 because KDE is so unstable.

Below is xorg.conf

# Xorg configuration created by system-config-display

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "single head configuration"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Files"
    ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/extensions/nvidia"
    ModulePath   "/usr/lib64/xorg/modules"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option        "AIGLX" "on"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"

    # generated from default
    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver      "mouse"
    Option        "Protocol" "auto"
    Option        "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
    Option        "Emulate3Buttons" "no"
    Option        "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Keyboard0"
    Driver      "kbd"
    Option        "XkbModel" "pc105"
    Option        "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier   "Monitor0"
    ModelName    "LCD Panel 1024x768"
    HorizSync    31.5 - 48.5
    VertRefresh  40.0 - 70.0
    ModeLine     "1024x768" 94.5 1024 1080 1176 1376 768 769 772 808
+hsync +vsync
    Option        "dpms"
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier  "Videocard0"
    Driver      "nvidia"
    Option        "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Screen0"
    Device     "Videocard0"