PLEASE HELP - Video Resolution keeps changing

Aldo Foot lunixer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 00:13:55 UTC 2008

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 4:02 PM, Jim <mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> Tim wrote:
>>> Using the nv or nividia driver,the Video resolution keeps changing
>>> after I set it in system-config-display to 1024x768.
>>> It always changes to higher resolution after rebooting box.
>>>

>> What happens if you go into their personal preferences, and set a
>> particular screen resolution in there?
>>
> As user , In KDE  > Configure Desktop > Display the settings there are
> 1024x768 and never change

Try this command as regular user:
  $ krandrtray
It puts an icon on the lower right icon tray. Click on it (blue-ish square) and
select a resolution to change it on the fly. This icon shows the available
resolutions your display can take.

Also execute as regular user 'xrandr', which also shows the resolutions your
card takes. In my case it shows over two dozen possibilities even though
my xorg.conf has no particular modeline in it.

Section "Screen"
        Identifier "Screen0"
        Device     "Videocard0"
        DefaultDepth     24
        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
        EndSubSection

so the last obvious thing to consider is: does your display support
the resolution
to which you want to set it?

I have experienced the problem you described. Using the xorg comand from
my previous email helped solved the problem with an nvidia card.
problem.
~af