Yum Woes with Python (Michael Schwendt)

Michael Schwendt mschwendt at gmail.com
Thu Nov 6 15:47:26 UTC 2008

On Thu, 06 Nov 2008 09:18:01 -0600, Seann Clark wrote:

> Nelson Chan wrote:
> > um.. i don't know what you are doing actually but i just make a guess.
> >
> > Should the python code be   "from logging import config" instead of
> >  "import logging.config" ??
> >
> > --
> > - Nelson Chan
> This problem is the after effect of a package add that nicely toasted
> YUM (And cobbler, and any other Python programs using config or logging)
> and they break on the logging.config. I don't have very much of a clue
> on Python (haven't gotten around to learning it yet) so I am rather
> stumped on the problem. any time a program calls either 'import config'
> or 'import logging' the program dies saying module config not found.
> Most of the replies I have been making are results of 'try this for more
> output' requests.
>
> Seems a wrong update has stumped a few people on the list. When I get
> the solution to this, I am adding it into my tech wiki, so I remember
> how to fix it afterwards. Sadly, though it is due to that Wiki(Trac)
> that all this started.....

The solution is to not alter the Python modules search path in the way
you've demonstrated. A Python module that inserts its own search path at
the beginning of the system's list of paths ought to have very (!) good
reason to do so. If it's a Fedora package that does this, file a bug
report. It may append its own path, but inserting or prepending its
path bears a big risk... and in this case, it breaks. ;)

--
Michael Schwendt <mschwendt at fedoraproject.org>
Fedora release 9 (Sulphur) - Linux 2.6.26.6-79.fc9.i686