Document Scanners that work with F9

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Fri Nov 7 01:50:45 UTC 2008

Dave Feustel wrote, On 11/06/2008 11:50 AM:
> I am the OP for this thread. I am looking for a high resolution document
> scanner only, (no printer, no copier (I have a laser printer already)
> functions) with a usb or scsi interface. Years ago I had an HP C2
> scanner which worked very well but it was big and slow. Plus I only had
> windows drivers for it.

Sorry for kind of hijacking your thread.

To kind of get back on subject, I think for most of us you would need to
define what you mean by:
"high resolution document scanner".
The reason you need to define it is that for me, scanning text (~8-12 point
Helvetica|Arial|TimesNewRoman|Palatino)  anything at or over 150DPI is going
to be considered "high resolution", which almost every scanner today can do.
If on the other hand you were scanning the dead sea scrolls (granted scanning
with the light sources that scanners today use would probably destroy them),
no one would be happy if you did not scan at > 3600DPI.

What kind of resolution did the C2 have?

The best luck I have had with picking out scanners is, go to
http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl
pick a bus you like
http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl?manu=&model=&bus=usb&v=&p=
and look at the "Status" column and find manufacturers that seem to have a
large percentage of their products that are listed as "complete" and "good".
These manufactures have been either feeding the developers data on how to talk
to their devices, or have been keeping a reasonably stable interface to the
device, so even if none of the listed devices are currently available for new
purchase they have a reasonable _likelihood_ of working especially if the new
device is in the same "family".

--
Todd Denniston