fedora-list Digest, Vol 57, Issue 47 Dependency Champion

Patrick O'Callaghan pocallaghan at gmail.com
Fri Nov 7 16:31:41 UTC 2008

On Fri, 2008-11-07 at 16:48 +0100, DB wrote:
> Having been bitten several times by Yum's ideas of "what depends on
> what", I agree with Henk.  If I have 2 (as far as I can see &
> understand) independent, stand-aloneable programs eg Cups & Firefox,
> it ought to be possible for me to remove either without automatically
> taking out the other - no, I've never even thought of the work that
> must go into something like that!!!!

As Michael pointed out, this has absolutely nothing to do with Yum. The
packages were specified with certain dependencies and Yum is simply
following the spec. I'm sure you're not suggesting that Yum should
examine the packages and determine if X *really* depends on Y ...

BTW, if possible don't use Yahoo to reply. Its idea of message threading
(not to mention quoting) seems to be completely broken.

poc