Error starting Gnome Settings Daemon?

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Sat Nov 8 02:55:30 UTC 2008

On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 8:39 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I just logged into my F9 laptop after some recent updates I got an error
> "Error Starting Gnome Settings Daemon". Relogging nor rebooting helped. I
> tried moving my .gconf, .gconfd, .gnome2 directories and letting gnome
> recreate them but it didn't help.
>
> I searched the web but most everything I found was from 2006 or earlier.
>
> Anyone else having this problem or have suggestions?
>
> I did update with the new rpmfusion repo but not sure if that's the cause.
> I reviewed my yum.log but none of the packages that updated on that day
> jumped out at me.
>
> BTW, what is the name of the executable or the Gnome Settings daemon? I was
> expecting something like gnome-settings but didn't find anything like that.
>
> Richard

Thanks to those who responded, but it turns out that the culprit was the
gstreamer-ffmpeg package from rpmfusion. It provides a gstreamer plugin that
gnome-settings-daemon tries to load.

For posterity, here's the output from gnome-settings-daemon when the
gstreamer-ffmpeg package is installed:

CRTC 260 Timestamp: 830046
Output 261 Timestamp: 830046
CRTC 260 Timestamp: 830046
Output 261 Timestamp: 830046
Shutdown failed or nothing to shut down.
[1226111713,000,xklavier.c:xkl_engine_start_listen/]     The backend does
not require manual layout management - but it is provided by the application
ERROR: Caught a segmentation fault while loading plugin file:
/usr/lib64/gstreamer-0.10/libgstffmpeg.so

Please either:
- remove it and restart.
- run with --gst-disable-segtrap and debug.
[1226111713,000,xklavier.c:xkl_engine_start_listen/]     The backend does
not require manual layout management - but it is provided by the
applicationCould not initialize GStreamer: Error re-scanning registry ,
child terminated by signal
---

As you can see it segfaults on the file
/usr/lib64/gstreamer-0.10/libgstffmpeg.so. I did a yum erase on the package
and it doesn't appear that there are any packages that depend on it. So far
so good...

Thanks,
Richard