Sudo from scripts

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Sat Nov 8 15:43:11 UTC 2008

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> Over the years I have used sudo from some of my scripts (RHEL 3 and
> 4,  SuSE (5-11), but I found in Fedora 9 (and CentOS 5.2) that sudo
> will fail:
>
> sudo: sorry, you must have a tty to run sudo
>
> In this particular case it was run on a CentOS 5.2 system, but I had
> the same issue with Fedora 9. In both cases the user account was set
> to NOPASSWD. Actually, on my home system it was my nightly backup
> script I run from my crontab.
>
> There are certainly some easy workarounds, such as running these
> scripts from root's cron (cron.daily, cron.weekly, ...), or writing
> my own sudo command (which I've done before Sudo arrived).
>
> Is there now a setting where I can run sudo non-interactively, or is
> this a new security restriction.

It is, as mentioned in /etc/sudoers:

#
# Disable "ssh hostname sudo <cmd>", because it will show the password
# in clear.
#         You have to run "ssh -t hostname sudo <cmd>".
#
Defaults    requiretty

I don't know if there's a good way to run things via cron and convince
sudo that you have a tty.  If not, you might just comment out the
requiretty setting.

Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.
    -- H. G. Wells