Install from LiveCD/or official DVD ?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Nov 9 21:11:05 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-11-09 at 21:26 +0100, David Hláčik wrote:
> what is Fedora prefered way of install on Desktop (notebook).

What is "preferred" is whatever the person doing it prefers.

> Should i use LiveCD or DVD (from ISO).

Whichever you want to.  I used the DVD version.  Here's some reasons for
either:

The DVD gives you a disc that you can do a very full installation from,
the live CD is a smaller disc, so will come with less to install from
the disc.

The DVD is a larger initial download, but both will require updates to
be run, post installation.  You'd be downloading more updates for a
bigger initial installation, than a smaller one.  You may as well
download a smaller install set, and update less, then do installations
of extra stuff from the net, with the newest versions, rather than
install and update the same software.  You'll be downloading those
extras just once, not twice, that way.

The DVD can be faster to install from, simply due to data transfer rate
from the medium.  It might spin slower, but more data comes off it
during the spin than a CD.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.26.6-79.fc9.i686