exclude option for rsync

L yuanlux at gmail.com
Mon Nov 10 04:22:20 UTC 2008

On Mon, Nov 10, 2008 at 10:54 AM, Cameron Simpson <cs at zip.com.au> wrote:

> On 10Nov2008 09:56, L <yuanlux at gmail.com> wrote:
> | I use rsync to sync a mirror site. I wnat to exclude files that were
> created
> | more than 10 days ago. I have  a long list of excludes in a file. But I
> want
> | a dynamic option.
> | what is the option for this in rsync ?
>
> As far as I'm aware there isn't one. The include/exclude stuff is
> entirely pathname based. I have in the past done a recursive _listing_
> of a mirror site, chosen files out of that, and constructed an
> include/exclude file on that basis. This was automated with a script.
>
> In my case the example was a GNU archive with multiple versions of
> packages; I wished only to mirror the "latest" package.
>
> If you can construct (via, perhaps, "rsync -n" and some postprocessing)
> a list of the remote files that you want, or do not want, it is a pretty
> easy task to convert that into an include/exclude list automatically. Then
> you just use that in a wrapper script for calling rsync.
>
> Cheers,
> --

at the bottom of rsync example page @
http://www.samba.org/rsync/examples.html

it says

Fancy footwork with remote file lists

One little known feature of rsync is the fact that when run over a
remote shell (such as rsh or ssh) you can give any shell command as
the remote file list. The shell command is expanded by your remote
shell before rsync is called. For example, see if you can work out
what this does:

	rsync -avR remote:'`find /home -name "*.[ch]"`' /tmp/

note that that is backquotes enclosed by quotes (some browsers don't
show that correctly).

not sure how to make this work.