exclude option for rsync

Cameron Simpson cs at zip.com.au
Mon Nov 10 05:53:02 UTC 2008

On 10Nov2008 00:21, Ryan Sawhill <rsawhill+flist at gmail.com> wrote:
| > One little known feature of rsync is the fact that when run over a
| > remote shell (such as rsh or ssh) you can give any shell command as
| > the remote file list. The shell command is expanded by your remote
| > shell before rsync is called. [...]
|
| Little-known indeed--I didn't know rsync could do that.. that's really cool.

I have mixed feelings about this coolness myself, having tripped over it
several times. It means that if you're trying to name
files-with-spaces-or-other-weirdness precisely you need to quote twice, once
locally as with any shell command, and then again for the remote shell. It's
doable, and even automatable (provided you trust there's a Bourne/POSIX shell
at the far end, otherwise of course the far end quote syntax will be
different...)

Cheers,
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

The only way to deal with bureaucrats is with stealth and sudden violence.
        - UN Secretary General Boutros-Ghali, _New York Times_ 15oct93