CUPS, Alpine, and printserving

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Mon Nov 10 08:37:19 UTC 2008

Tim:
>> If desperate, one could go into /etc/cups/ and remove the entries for
>> particular printers.  I'm not sure how it handles missing files, but you
>> could load the file and remove all the configuration data, leaving just
>> the two comment lines at the top of printers.conf.

Beartooth:
> Would you believe that's what it shows now? Yet both Firefox and
> Opera insist on showing three.

Yes, printers.conf shows "local" printers.  I'm betting that the
printers showing up in your browsers are not local ones, but ones on
another PC and available over the network.

> I tried using Hbsk and Hbsk.localdomain (which is what uname shows for
> this machine) on Opera, but it failed to connect, though I saw it try
> 127.0.0.1

Tried using them for what?

127.0.0.1 is computer speak for myself, network-wise.  All computers
connect to themselves at 127.0.0.1.  By convention, "localhost" is
related to that IP.  And by a Linux convention, "localhost.localdomain"
is, as well (most likely to satisfy things that want a domain name with
at least one dot in it).

Whereas other hostnames are generally applied to other network
interfaces, and some services may not listen to them by default, for
security reasons, so that they can't be messed with by others over your
network.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.26.6-79.fc9.i686