gnome-settings-daemon crashes immediately upon starting up... but only in KDE

Kelly Miller lightsolphoenix at gmail.com
Tue Nov 11 00:16:05 UTC 2008

For some odd reason, gnome-settings-daemon keeps crashing immediately upon
startup, returning the following error:

The program 'gnome-settings-daemon' received an X Window System error.
The error was 'BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)'.
  (Details: serial 2669 error_code 8 request_code 20 minor_code 0)
[1226361695,000,xklavier.c:xkl_engine_start_listen/]    The backend does not
require manual layout management - but it is provided by the application

Apparently, this may be a conflict between evdev and gnome-settings-daemon,
but I don't notice a problem when I log in to GNOME, only when I try to start
it via command line in KDE.