Help me mount this drive

Robert Wuest rwuestfc at wuest.org
Tue Nov 11 18:27:12 UTC 2008

I bought a Cables-to-go USB to IDE/SATA Adapter (Model # 30504) to read
some old drives sitting around.  I hook it up and it seems to connect
and tell the host that it's there.  But it doesn't mount automatically,
and I can't mount it manually.  In fact, I can't seem to read it at all.

When I connect, I get the following from dmesg:

usb 2-4.4: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 13
usb 2-4.4: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
usb-storage: device found at 13
usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
usb 2-4.4: New USB device found, idVendor=152d, idProduct=2338
usb 2-4.4: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=5
usb 2-4.4: Product: USB to ATA/ATAPI Bridge
usb 2-4.4: Manufacturer: JMicron
usb 2-4.4: SerialNumber: 152D203380B6
usb-storage: device scan complete
scsi 6:0:0:0: Direct-Access                                    PQ: 0
ANSI: 2 CCS
sd 6:0:0:0: [sdh] Attached SCSI disk
sd 6:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg8 type 0

Same stuff is in /var/log/messages

I have a /dev/sdh, but no partition devices (No /dev/sdh{1,2,3,etc}).

When I try to read the raw device with dd, I get 0 blocks:

# dd if=/dev/sdh of=/dev/null
0+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes (0 B) copied, 3.1811e-05 s, 0.0 kB/s

Does anyone know how to use this thing?

I've tried with several different drives,  one out of my system that I
know is working right.  Both IDE and SATA.  I've googled around a bit
for help, but nothing seems to be this problem. I'm just missing
something basic, aren't I?

Thanks,
Robert