Build 64-bit kernel on 32-bit system

Gordon Messmer yinyang at eburg.com
Wed Nov 12 19:45:36 UTC 2008

john wendel wrote:

>>> Much to my surprise, there isn't a 32 vs 64 bit toggle in the kernel
>>> config. Google confused me, but did tell me I require a 64bit
>>> toolchain. This seems bogus, since the kernel is self contained. I
>>> think it should be enough just to set the proper gcc options.
> Yes, I'll do a 64bit F10. Just wanted to experiment, and maybe learn a
> little something while I'm waiting for F10.

If that's your goal, you can do that.  You do need a 64 bit toolchain.
If you run "gcc --help -v" you'll notice that ld doesn't support 64 bit
targets.

The first thing you'll need to do is build the toolchain for 64 bit
cross-compiling.  Once that's available, you should be able to use it to
create a 64 bit kernel.  That's pretty much the way that you'd always
build an OS for a foreign CPU.  Build the toolchain first, then compile
the OS using that toolchain, then create a boot disk using the
cross-compiled binaries.  Don't get confused by the fact that 64 bit
CPUs are backward compatible.  You need to treat them like a completely
foreign CPU.