Region 2 DVD to Region 1 DVD

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Fri Nov 14 07:26:54 UTC 2008

On Thu, Nov 13, 2008 at 15:58:47 -0800,
  Rich Emberson <emberson.rich at gmail.com> wrote:
> So, I've got a Region 2 DVD, a Region 1 DVD player,
> Fedora 9, a SAMSUNG SH-S203N DVD+RW and some recordable DVDs.
> What I want to do is create a Region 1 version of the Region
> 2 DVD so that I can look at it using my Region 1 DVD
> player.

Usually stock rpc drives can change regions a limited amount of times.
I am not sure if there is a linux tool to do this, but probably there is.

You might consider looking for alternative firmware. You can make your
drive region zero which should play any disk, but I think there are ways
for the DVD content providers to have this break menus to make the disk
hard to use. You can also get firmware that resets the region change count
every time you change it.

When buying DVD drives, I think it is a good idea to check to see if flashing
tools are available for Linux and if there are third party firmwares
available to deal with region coding. You might also want the firmware to
remove the speed limiting that both helps keep the drive quiet and limits
how fast you can copy a DVD.