Problems with F9

Croombe F. Pensom croombefp at sympatico.ca
Fri Nov 14 13:41:48 UTC 2008

With great glee I tried updating to F9 but am very disappointed so have
had to switch back to F8.
I wonder if anyone else has had similar troubles. My main objection is
that, to use Add/Remove Software F9 always goes onto the web for a
mirror and this chews up connect time (for which I am charged through
the nose after a certain limit has been passed). Hence, every time I hit
a snag and have to re-install it costs me large amounts of connect time
regardless of the fact that I am installing from a DVD.
I find this excessively annoying. Also, many of the features of 9 seem
to me to be worthless when compared to somewhat simpler versions of
applications in F8.
To get round the OOo version problem, I never install OpenOffice from
the Fedora 8 disk but have kept a copy of the rpms and do the install
from those after F8 is installed and I always then get the latest
version.
Does anyone know if it is possible to get ALL Fedora applications etc.
(i.e. a complete repository) on DVD thus obviating the need to consume
connect time?
Thanks
CroombeP
--
This e-mail produced entirely under Linux. Absolutely NO M$ products have been used.