Region 2 DVD to Region 1 DVD

Roberto Malinverni roberto.malinverni at dico.coop.it
Fri Nov 14 15:14:13 UTC 2008

First, sorry if the following has already been said - I didn't follow the
entire tread, just bumping in :P

dvdcss takes care of region coding. With the dvd drives in my PCs,
I can play DVDs from all regions.

> You might consider looking for alternative firmware. You can make your
> drive region zero which should play any disk
> When buying DVD drives, I think it is a good idea to check to
> see if flashing
> tools are available for Linux and if there are third party firmwares
> available to deal with region coding. You might also want the
> firmware to remove the speed limiting that both helps keep the drive
> quiet and limits how fast you can copy a DVD.

This is usually possible with NEC drives, using binflash and hacked firmware
from Liggy & Dee.
Works like a charm, but it isn't really needed for region coding thanks to
dvdcss.

Another possibility is a "region hack" for your standalone player: take a
look at www.videohelp.com.
I "fixed" this way a LG player.

--
Il messaggio e' stato analizzato alla ricerca di virus o
contenuti pericolosi da MailScanner, ed e'