Problems with F9

Todd Denniston Todd.Denniston at ssa.crane.navy.mil
Fri Nov 14 15:28:12 UTC 2008

Richard Hughes wrote, On 11/14/2008 08:52 AM:
> On Fri, 2008-11-14 at 13:41 +0000, Croombe F. Pensom wrote:
>> I wonder if anyone else has had similar troubles. My main objection is
>> that, to use Add/Remove Software F9 always goes onto the web for a
>> mirror and this chews up connect time (for which I am charged through
>> the nose after a certain limit has been passed).
>
> Right. It wants to show you the latest versions of everything. Fedora is
> a fast moving distro.
>
>> Does anyone know if it is possible to get ALL Fedora applications etc.
>> (i.e. a complete repository) on DVD thus obviating the need to consume
>> connect time?
>
> You'll be downloading about 80Gb of data, that almost instantly will
> become stale.

That is a little inflated, if what Croombe actually means is he wants
everything for only his arch.

The following numbers are a bit small, because I do not mirror the debug packages:
13G     releases/9/Everything/i386/
3.3M    updates/9/i386
7.6G    updates/9/i386.newkey
21G     total

however ~3.2GB of the Everything can be gotten from the install ISO.

What Croombe is looking for is a local mirror of the repositories,
having the Everything would solve most of the issues, and you could rely on
the net for updates versions, or you could mirror both with the understanding
that you will be pulling updates for many things that you might never install.

http://mirrors.fedoraproject.org/publiclist/Fedora/9/
there are 5 sites in CA, when I looked.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Mirroring
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Infrastructure/Mirroring#How_can_someone_make_a_private_mirror.3F

They only talk about using rsync (which works well), but some folks have to
work inside networks where the policies do not allow rsync, so I use wget to
do my pulls.

--
Todd Denniston