advice for data recovery

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Nov 14 20:52:30 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Todd Denniston wrote:
>> Dave Stevens wrote, On 11/10/2008 04:56 PM:
>>> Hello All,
>>>

>>> So does anyone know of a program I can use to only copy files that are
>>> not damaged? I can sort out the teenies, but don't see how to proceed
>>> after that.
>> man ImageMagick
>> man identify
>> man convert
>>

> I wounder if Jpeg Rescue would help in this case?
>
> http://codesink.org/recover.html
>
> Mikkel

I have not tried identify or convert and will have to test them.

I use ImageMagick and tried many things there but none of them worked.

I did use Jpeg Rescue but it didn't work in my case.  It missed many
images.  Again, it could be a header issue between different Jpeg files.
  I found that my camera's header was different than the one in one
particular program.  I think it was foremost.  This was confirmed with a
test on a memory card.

All images that were recovered in my case will say that they are valid
jpg images if I just use 'file {image.jpg}'

--
Robin Laing