Reverse Compatibility Manifesto

William M. Quarles walrus at bellsouth.net
Sat Nov 15 01:19:18 UTC 2008

OK, so I said the phrase "Windows XP" in a message, and suddenly NO ONE
will reply? Seriously, I'll say it again, Microsoft and Sony (e.g. most
of the PlayStation series) can do reverse compatibility fairly well, and
Fedora is almost totally lacking in that arena. "Get with the times"
doesn't always make sense. And if anybody says, "Well, if you like
reverse compatibility so much, why don't you shell out for Microsoft
software like 90% of the rest of the herd." Uh, no. There are both
commercial and "free" software products that need that reverse
compatibility.

Example: is there anybody out there doing natural science or engineering
on Linux machines right now who is NOT using any commercial software
whatsoever?

And just because a "free" software product hasn't been updated in a
while does not mean that the software is useless.

I can't quadruple boot my machine just to run all of the software I use.
It should not be necessary, especially when most of this software is
designed for Red Hat/Fedora distributions, or can be installed and run
using WINE.

Any thoughts?

William