Make a DHCP server using Fedora - Help

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Sun Nov 16 03:42:15 UTC 2008

On Sat, 2008-11-15 at 19:43 -0700, Craig White wrote:
> you don't need bind to run unless you want to provide DNS services.

There are advantages in doing so, but I'd learn how to do DHCP, then
learn the next thing.

With a local DHCP and DNS server, particular if they talk to each other,
you simplify client network configuration.  Your DHCP server assigns
them addresses, and your DNS server reseolves all their addresses.  You
don't need to play with hosts files on each PC, nor any other part of
their network configuration, it's all centrally managed.  For anything
more than a three PC LAN, it soon gets annoying if you have to keep
updating all their hosts files.

As Craig said, it can be simpler to use something that does that for
you, such as a modem/router with its own DHCP server, there's far less
things for you to have to configure.  But, any of the ones that I've
looked at, don't act as a local DNS server for their own DHCP records.
So, you're stuck with fixing IPs in its DHCP server, then messing with
hosts files on each PC.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.5-37.fc9.i686