Yumex errors after running Fedora updates

Steven W. Orr steveo at syslang.net
Sun Nov 16 03:48:40 UTC 2008

On Friday, Nov 14th 2008 at 14:34 -0000, quoth Alex Makhlin:

=>Hi all,
=>
=>I just installed the latest fedora updates and now Yumex no longer works. I am
=>getting the following errors when trying to open Yumex.
=>
=>Error Type: <class 'yum.update_md.UpdateNoticeException'>
=>Error Value: No id element found
=> File : /usr/share/yumex/yumex.py , line 737, in <module>
=>   mainApp = YumexApplication()
=> File : /usr/share/yumex/yumex.py , line 446, in __init__
=>   self.setupYum()
=> File : /usr/share/yumex/yumex.py , line 467, in setupYum
=>   self.yumbase._setupBase()
=> File : /usr/share/yumex/yumapi.py , line 80, in _setupBase
=>   self._setupUpdateMetadata()
=> File : /usr/share/yumex/yumapi.py , line 137, in _setupUpdateMetadata
=>   self.updateMetadata.add(repo)
=> File : /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/update_md.py , line 319, in add
=>   un = UpdateNotice(elem)
=> File : /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/update_md.py , line 69, in
=>__init__
=>   self._parse(elem)
=> File : /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/yum/update_md.py , line 146, in
=>_parse
=>   raise UpdateNoticeException("No id element found")
=>
=>I am using Python 2.6 and have tried to update Yumex but I get prompted that I
=>need Pyhthon abi 2.4 or greater to install. I am running Python abi 2.6 so
=>that should not be the problem (unless Yumex is not compatible with Python
=>2.6). Anyone know an answer to this problem?

I just used yumex a few days ago and it worked fine. Now I get exactly the
same error. Is it the case that there's external data that's causing the
bug to manifest? I'd be happy to provide more data if someone can tell me
what it is they want.

steveo at syslang.net