how to remove and reinstall kernel 2.6.27?

M. Fioretti mfioretti at nexaima.net
Sun Nov 16 06:07:07 UTC 2008

Hello everybody,

this is still about the box mentioned in my recent threads "is this
grub.conf correct" and "can't login as root"

The previous attempts to update/fix the system from rescue mode have left
me (don't ask why, please) with
only parts of the last kernel installed, or so it seems

What I mean is that if I run rpm -q kernel I get two lines, one for
2.6.25-14 and one for 2.6.27.5-37

But if I look into /boot/ I see vmlinuz, initrd, systen.map and config
files only of 2.6.25

There is no initrd for 2.6.27 (the other files are there). So it looks
like the rpm install of 2.6.27 was corrupted for some reason. How do I
manage to make yum understand that that version isn't properly installed
and it should update the kernel to 2.6.27?

TIA,
Marco