gnome - f10 - root login

Dave Feustel dfeustel at mindspring.com
Sun Nov 16 15:31:11 UTC 2008

On Sun, Nov 16, 2008 at 10:19:10AM -0500, Tom Horsley wrote:
> On Sun, 16 Nov 2008 07:01:38 -0800
> "bruce" <bedouglas at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > is there a way around this behavior?
>
> In the file /etc/pam.d/gdm, find the line that has the
> suffix " user != root quiet" and just delete that
> suffix. Now root can login and you can be badgered by
> hordes of anal-retentive security freaks about how
> unsafe that is because X toolkits are horribly insecure
> (wait, wouldn't that mean it was unsafe to login
> as any user if I don't want security holes giving
> access to that user's data? :-).

My experience as a former political activist leads me to believe that
linux security is pretty good UNLESS you irritate people from agencies
with 3/6 letter names. Then about all you can do re subsequent DOS
attacks is suffer while you wait for the miscreants to go away. Of
course, once your name is on their lists, it never gets taken off. You
can look forward to repeat visits. :-)