kernel 2.6.27.5-37 doesn't boot after recompile in F9

stan goedigi89__e at cox.net
Sun Nov 16 18:52:17 UTC 2008

Hi,

This is a longshot but I've been downloading the source for
the fedora kernels and compiling them to suit my system
better for 6 months or so (since 2.6.24).  It has been
working great.  I've been using the same config since I got
one working (there seem to be all kinds of undocumented
dependencies between options in the kernel, so a little
trial and error is necessary to get one that flies).  I just
run make oldconfig and update the .config and away it goes.
I don't modify any of the setup, so this is the Fedora
kernel recompiled with all of its patches.

Well, it seemed to work with 2.6.27 as it compiled cleanly.
  But after I installed it and built the initrd, it won't
boot.  The message is about a segmentation fault, error 4.
It complains that init can't start and that the interrupts
are not synching and hangs.  I've tried many options but the
error is always the same.

I installed the official 2.6.27 rpm package for f9 and it
boots and runs just fine.

Has anyone else seen this, and did you get it to work
somehow?  I am suspicious of the mkinitrd as I don't think
it updated with the update to 2.6.27, but I don't know.

Thanks for any insight.