Sudo from scripts

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Mon Nov 17 12:45:59 UTC 2008

On 11/17/2008 12:47 AM, g wrote:
> as a question of curiousness, and 'wat' from svr5 days, have you tried
> giving ownership of script to root?
>
> also, if you want backup to run only after you are logged off, or after
> you have done something needing backup, have script check for 'filename'
> and then delete 'filename' as part of closing. this way, you can run
> 'touch filename' to enable.
My specific solution was to simply run a root cron. But I did test sudo
by disabling "#Defaults    requiretty" in /etc/sudoers. Giving root
ownership to a script IMHO is a security issue. Actually, the backup
script probably should have been run as root via a root crontab in the
first place.

The bottom line is that things change as time goes on, and it is
important that one (eg. me) keep up. Subsequently we had the exact same
problem on the Boston Linux server, and as I saw the logs, I let my
partner know about it since he maintains those.
--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix