f9 Preupgrade stalled?

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Mon Nov 17 20:11:25 UTC 2008

Aaron Konstam wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-11-17 at 05:00 -0500, Dave Feustel wrote:

>>> Dave:
>>> Here's a list of links to companies that supply CDs and DVDs for most Linux
>>> distros including Fedora:
>>> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Distribution/OnlineVendors#Northern_America.5B1.5D
>>>
>>> Back in my dialup days, I used Cheapbytes and was very pleased with them --
>>> quick delivery, good quality. and a fair price. IIRC, they usually have new
>>> stuff available within a day or two of the official release.
>> Thanks for the link. I think I have also used Cheapbytes but it was a
>> at least 5 years ago so I may have the name wrong. I think my problem is
>> that /boot is not on its own partition and grub isn't quite up to that.
>> If I could shrink the single partition on the drive, move it and create
>> a new /boot partition, then move /boot data to the new partition, grub
>> might then install Rawhide. But it's probably simpler to wait for the
>> official release.
>>
> It is not necessary for boot to be a separate partition..

"necessary" meaning "absolutely required" is true, but meaning "to avoid hassle"
not so much. Having /boot on the first partition, as a primary partition
(possibly part of raid1 so the BIOS will fail over), is the easiest setup to get
going, even for people who know how to do something more complex. There are many
things in Linux which work better if you put the effort into doing something
complex, but boot partition is not one of them.

I agree, CheapBytes is a great way to go, and if you are distributing media (I
did for the Upstate NY Unix Users Group) they will provide a price on multiple
copies. Or would a few years ago...
--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>