Make a DHCP server using Fedora - Help

Antonio Olivares olivares14031 at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 19 15:37:00 UTC 2008

--- On Wed, 11/19/08, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:

> From: Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com>
> Subject: Re: Make a DHCP server using Fedora - Help
> To: olivares14031 at yahoo.com, "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Wednesday, November 19, 2008, 5:55 AM
> Antonio Olivares wrote:
> >
> > No, there is DNS, and they are the same as the host
> machine.  It might be another little thing, maybe the packet
> forwarding or Iptables stuff?
> >
> > Thank you very much for your guidance :)
> > It is much closer than before.
> >

> You have to deal with routing and NAT somewhere.  You might
> avoid it if you run a nameserver and squid proxy on the host
> and configure the clients to use the proxy.  Otherwise you
> need the host to route the packets if you have a NAT gateway
> elsewhere, or to route and NAT if nothing but the host knows
> about this subnet.
>
> --   Les Mikesell
>    lesmikesell at gmail.com

I added the following and saved them iptables-save

upon reading another page:
http://chwang.blogspot.com/2007/11/making-linux-fedora-core-8-as-gateway.html

it says iptables and has this part:

# Forward all packets from eth1 (internal network) to eth0 (the public internet)
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth1 -o eth0 -j ACCEPT
# Forward packets that are part of existing and related connections from eth0 to eth1
iptables -A FORWARD -i eth0 -o eth1 -m state --state ESTABLISHED,RELATED -j ACCEPT
# Enable SNAT functionality on eth0. a.b.c.d are generally the ip of the eth0
iptables -A POSTROUTING -t nat -s 192.168.1.0/24 -o eth0 -j SNAT --to-source a.

I added everything here except last line "Enable SNAT", I do not know what that means, I know it is close.  I can ping the host machine, it gets an ip, it gets DNS, and all, but cannot surf :(

Thanks,

Antonio