set up NAT (network address translation) on local server

Christopher K. Johnson ckjohnson at gwi.net
Thu Nov 20 00:00:10 UTC 2008

No snat rule in effect!

Was the rule you provided in your original post verbatim?  Because it
had 'a' instead of the public address.  In fact the rule seemed overly
specific in other ways too.
Here is what I have for a snat rule where the public (Internet)
interface is eth1 (substitute your public ip address for a.b.c.d:

-A POSTROUTING -o eth1 -j SNAT --to-source a.b.c.d

Resulting in (again substituted a.b.c.d for the real public address):
Chain POSTROUTING (policy ACCEPT 36819 packets, 4482K bytes)
 pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source
destination
39065 2513K SNAT       all  --  *      eth1    0.0.0.0/0
0.0.0.0/0           to:a.b.c.d

If your rule is correct, then you need to activate your iptables file
rules by:
service iptables restart

Chris

--
   "A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know
   they shall never sit in" - Greek Proverb