Moving Fedora 9 Hard Disk To Another System

Michael Cronenworth mike at cchtml.com
Thu Nov 20 16:30:26 UTC 2008

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: Re: Moving Fedora 9 Hard Disk To Another System
From: Mikkel L. Ellertson <mikkel at infinity-ltd.com>
To: Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora.
<fedora-list at redhat.com>
Date: 11/19/2008 08:08 PM

> What is more likely is that the motherboard is using a different
> hard drive controller. The new controller requires a different
> module from the original one. So you have to build a new initrd for
> that system. This was covered in detail on the list a while back.
>
> Depending on the other hardware, you may have to run kudzu, or you
> may have to delete some or all of the
> /etc/udev/rules.d/??-persistent*.rules files.
>
> Mikkel

He won't need to build a new initrd. The UUID specified in his grub.conf
is wrong. Correct me if I'm wrong, but the UUID is specific to a hard
drive, so even if he cloned the image, the UUID would be for the
original hard drive and wouldn't work on the cloned image.

Try setting root to "root=LABEL=/" or "root=/dev/sda2" or generate a new
UUID.