FIXED IP on FC 8

Jim mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
Thu Nov 20 18:08:36 UTC 2008

FC8 / KDE

I have a box that has DHCP setup, I have to communicate with 700 miles
away, through a Linksys WRT54G, I have Port Forwarding setup in router
to 192.16.1.100 to this box.
But When rebooting this box 700 miles away computer, the IP is changed
to 192.16.1.101 and I no longer can connect to it , because router is set to
Port Forwarding to 192.168.1.100.

If I do a Static IP setup on that box FC8, 700 miles away, how will
NetworkManager come in to play ??
Will it have problem with a setup Static IP ??

And does someone have have a Static IP example of
/etc/sysconfig/network.scripts/ifcfg-eth0 that I can use to do setup
correctly, I don't completely trust system-config-network to do it
right, let just say, I have had a bad experience in the past. I like to
go into ifcfg-eth0 and edit what I want.