Mount usb devices

Mikkel L. Ellertson mikkel at infinity-ltd.com
Thu Nov 20 20:55:28 UTC 2008

Dave Feustel wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 20, 2008 at 03:24:25PM -0500, Mark Haney wrote:
>> Dave Feustel wrote:
>>> I have found no info on how to mount usb disk drives on Fedora.
>>>
>>> How is it done?
>>>
>>> Can F9 mount *BSD file systems?
>>>
>>> Thanks.
>>>
>> Uh, you should bve able to just plug it in and fedora will automount it
>> if it recognizes the file system.
>
> I see no messages from f9 when I plug the drive in.

In the logs, or as a popup message? It should be quietly mounted on
/media/<name>. You can control what <name> will be if you label the
partition(s).

>> Or, you can look at dmesg when you plug the drive in, find the device
>> assignment and manually mount it.
>
> This works, but I do not recognize the device name in the dmesg output.
> Also, dmesg reports that it cannout mount the device because ufs is
> compiled read-only, not read-write.

The device will be a SCSI drive. Something like /dev/sdf and then
device entries for each partition. But it sounds like the system is
not identifying the file system type correctly. You may have to
search out the correct module name for the file system, and load
that manually before plugging in the drive.

Mikkel