How to test cups printer system

Phil Meyer pmeyer at themeyerfarm.com
Thu Nov 20 23:58:06 UTC 2008

Dave Feustel wrote:
> I just added my hp2100 laserjet printer to f9.  I then tried to print a
> small test file. I get no output (the job is queued tho) plus a warning
> message that the printer may not be connected.
>
> Do I need to do something else to get the cups system enabled?
>
> Thanks.

Most HP printers want hplip.  Check your /var/log/messages for an error
message about a 'back-end'.

# yum install hplip hplip-gui hplip-libs

Afterward, your print job should just happen.  Modern USB printers
usually need no config at all for CPUS to see it and work.  Just plug it
in and it should show up in printing dialogs.

Good Luck!