FIXED IP on FC 8

Jim mickeyboa at sbcglobal.net
Fri Nov 21 16:38:09 UTC 2008

Mikkel L. Ellertson wrote:
> Jim wrote:
>
>> FC8 / KDE
>>
>> I have a box that has DHCP setup, I have to communicate with 700 miles
>> away, through a Linksys WRT54G, I have Port Forwarding setup in router
>> to 192.16.1.100 to this box.
>> But When rebooting this box 700 miles away computer, the IP is changed
>> to 192.16.1.101 and I no longer can connect to it , because router is
>> set to
>> Port Forwarding to 192.168.1.100.
>>
>> If I do a Static IP setup on that box FC8, 700 miles away, how will
>> NetworkManager come in to play ??
>> Will it have problem with a setup Static IP ??
>>
>> And does someone have have a Static IP example of
>> /etc/sysconfig/network.scripts/ifcfg-eth0 that I can use to do setup
>> correctly, I don't completely trust system-config-network to do it
>> right, let just say, I have had a bad experience in the past. I like to
>> go into ifcfg-eth0 and edit what I want.
>>

> One way to handle this is to give the MAC address of the NIC a fixed
> IP address in the router. What I think happened in this case is that
> the computer did not release the lease on 192.168.1.100 when it
> rebooted, and did not ask to renew that lease when it booted. So it
> was given the next free IP address.
>
> I do not think you want to use NetworkManager is this case anyway.
> Under the normal configuration, the network is not going to come up
> until someone logs in. If you are going to be doing remote access,
> you are better off using the network service instead. That makes
> setting a static IP address easier. But you will want to make sure
> the static address you use in not in the range the router gives out
> using DHCP.
>
> Mikkel

I read something the other day about NetworkManager-0.7.* was fixed to
work with Static IPs, but now I can't find on the Internet anymore.
But you did bring up a good point about , The static IP I  apply to box
is out of range of router.
So I will apply a static IP of 192.168.1.254 .
Thanks for the responds.