More strange F9 dependencies

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Fri Nov 21 17:54:08 UTC 2008

Michael Schwendt wrote:
> On Thu, 20 Nov 2008 18:43:17 +0000 (UTC), Beartooth wrote:
>
>> 	I have no PDA, nor expect ever to, much less hardware to connect
>> it to a PC.
>>
>> 	When I was working, and literally running my life on rails, its
>> ancestors, then called organizers, were fine things; I had a whole series
>> of them.

SNIP

>> 	Some of those dependencies certainly make sense, and others look
>> likely to. Some of them. I grant that.
>>
>> 	Some make mud seem clear. I don't understand, despite googling,
>> what gvfs is or does. I know only that it too threatened to take a long
>> list of indispensable apps with it if removed -- and that the gnome
>> system monitor always shows some half dozen of its creatures, sleeping.
>>
>> 	But what of nautilus? It would be fine for bluez to depend on it;
>> but why should it depend on bluez?? Is someone going to tell me that
>> pango uses bluez, with or without hardware? And then sneer down his nose
>> that I'm welcome to write new code??
>
> Run: repoquery --whatrequires libbluetooth.so.2
>
> That shows all packages with a _direct_ dependency on that library.
> Nautilus depends on something that depends on bluez-libs.
>
>> 	What ever became of linux being tailorable??
>
> A Linux base distribution is tailored already.
> Not each and every feature can be toggled on/off at run-time or
> install-time. Some features build the core of the distribution.

The issue that is creeping in is dependencies on full packages that are
not needed.  Bluetooth is an option for many and shouldn't be needed to
keep a system operational.

If a library is needed for some function, then pull the library out of
the full application.  In this case make a base library to meet these
dependencies.

--
Robin Laing