100% cpu usage

Croombe F. Pensom croombefp at sympatico.ca
Sun Nov 23 00:50:17 UTC 2008

I recently had the same problem and fought it for weeks thinking that it
was something I had done during installation or messed up through
downloading. I did repeated installs but always ended up with an unknown
something taking up 100% of the CPU time. I, too, had a Pentium 4.

I desperation, I pulled off every extra card and disconnected all but
one hard drive. This wasn't the problem BUT, when I went to start
putting stuff back, I noticed that the cooling fan was hanging loose
(and this explained the messages I was getting about the CPU temperature
being outside limits). I fixed it back on and crossed my fingers but the
damage had been done. So I purchased a new CPU and everything is now AOK
and running at full speed with no anomalous something taking up 100% of
the CPU.

It's an expensive trial if that's not the reason, but I was at my wits
end and the expense turned out to be justified.

Lesson learned : always make sure that the cooling fan is seated firmly
home before powering up.

CroombeFP

--
This e-mail produced entirely under Linux. Absolutely NO M$ products have been used.