F9 DOS?

Kevin J. Cummings cummings at kjchome.homeip.net
Mon Nov 24 18:23:06 UTC 2008

Dave Feustel wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 24, 2008 at 11:20:33AM -0500, Dave Feustel wrote:
>> F9 Boot up this morning took forever. The system seemed to be stuck on starting
>> up sendmail. How to get around startups of services when startup hangs?

sendmail hanging at startup is usually a DNS problem as requests are
timing out....

>> Also, My firewall is showing massive udp packets with state 1:0 from a single ip address
>> and I cannot ping to anything but my network ip address. Is this a sign of a DOS?
>> Everything was working great when I shutdown last night.

Not necessarily, it could just be that Comcast was screwed up for a
while.  They do use human being to maintain their network, and human
beings are known to make misteaks from time to time....

>> Thanks.
>
> Well, around 1215 I booted up F9 and now everything is working normally.
> I have no idea what the problem was earlier unless Comcast was down.

Either its was Comcast, or the DOS stopped.  (yeah, I know, not too useful!)

--
Kevin J. Cummings
kjchome at rcn.com
cummings at kjchome.homeip.net