lvm

Bryn M. Reeves bmr at redhat.com
Tue Nov 25 12:19:54 UTC 2008

Timothy Murphy wrote:
> Patrick Dupre wrote:
>
>> fsck complains
>> The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
>>   filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
>>   filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock
>>   is corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate
>> superblock:
>>       e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
>
> Slightly OT, but has anyone ever found that this works?
> (I mean using an alternative superblock.)

Yes. If something hosed the front of the device, you'll often find a
usable superblock further in. I'll admit that it's been a few years
since I've had to use this in anger, and even then, more often to
recover from auto-LARTs (dd whoopsies for e.g. :) than "mystery
corruption", but I've certainly used it with success in the past. Ymmv.

Regards,
Bryn.