F10 virtual HVM install experiences

Bill Davidsen davidsen at tmr.com
Wed Nov 26 00:04:50 UTC 2008

Tom Horsley wrote:
> I installed both i386 and x86_64 HVM virtual machines from
> the DVD iso images today onto virtual disks.
>
> I noticed it asked me for a hostname. I've got a DHCP server
> running that can tell the VMs their hostnames. It would have
> been nice if anaconda had seen that info and filled in the
> name as the initial default (rather than localhost.localdomain
> which is what I got). I typo-ed one of the names (which confused
> me later till I figure it out). That's what the DHCP server is
> for - to prevent typos :-).
>
> The i386 VM reached the end of the install where it normally
> reboots, and the VNC console window froze up with a black screen and
> an hourglass cursor. I gave it about 5 minutes and then did
> an "xm destroy", and the subsequent "xm create" worked fine,
> It came up in the initial firstboot screen and all seemed well.
>
> Once upon a time, there was a System>Administration item
> for configuring the display. I know the virtual video card
> can do better than 800x600, but when I look at the X log,
> the server has convinced itself that 800x600 and 640x480
> are the only two valid modes. Is there any handy tool that
> is no longer in the admin menu I can run to convince it
> the virtual monitor can handle a bigger display? Do I have
> to hack up an xorg.conf file by hand and tell it a bigger
> refresh timing range for the monitor?

install system-config-display and use that. I'm betting you will find that the
display type is "unknown" and that after you set it to something like "LCD
1024x768" it will then let the user preferences select several sizes up to the max.

I have mentioned this many times, just recently I detailed all of the assort
real and virtual machines I tried without getting any to work without doing
this. Anyway, that's how you set it...

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen at tmr.com>