has K3B been abandoned?

Fred Silsbee fredsilsbee at yahoo.com
Wed Nov 26 21:10:49 UTC 2008

--- On Wed, 11/26/08, Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr> wrote:

> From: Nigel Henry <cave.dnb2m97pp at aliceadsl.fr>
> Subject: Re: has K3B been abandoned?
> To: "Community assistance, encouragement, and advice for using Fedora." <fedora-list at redhat.com>
> Date: Wednesday, November 26, 2008, 9:02 PM
> On Wednesday 26 November 2008 20:15, dexter wrote:
> > On Wed November 26 2008 15:59:49 Fred Silsbee wrote:
> > > after downloading F10 for 9.5 hours,
> >
> > Downloading on release day is for n00bs, I learnt this
> some time back!
> > take it some days before or after.
> >
> > ...dex
>
> 9.5 hours is peanuts. Try it on dialup. Downloading my 6 cd
> iso's for F9 took
> between 12, and 14 days. You need a lot of patience when on
> dialup.
>
> I'm not even considering F10 at the moment. I'll
> have to psyche myself up once
> again, before going for the F10 iso downloads.
>
> Regarding burning. I've no experience with burning to
> dvd media, but have read
> that Plextor optical drives, expensive as they are, do have
> problems.
>
> I always burn to cd at the lowest speed (I did have
> problems burning at higher
> speeds with K3b), and havn't had any failures when
> burning at the lowest burn
> speeds.
>
> You mention that you have 2 burners, the Plextor one, and
> the Sony one, and
> when you had the dvd media in the Sony one, K3b
> couldn't find the media.
> That's probably no surprise, as K3b's
> config/preferences is no doubt set to
> look for media in the block device which is set for the
> Plextor optical
> drive.
>
> Saying that though, looking at K3b's settings >
> configure K3b > Devices. It
> says here.
>
> <quote>
> K3b tries to detect all your devices properly. You can add
> devices that have
> not been detected, and change the block values by clicking
> in the list. If
> K3b is unable to detect your drive, you need to modify
> their permissions to
> give K3b write access to all devices.
> < end quote>
>
> Looking at the Devices page on this machine which only has
> one optical drive,
> the line, "System device name" says /dev/scd0
> (4.0.0).
>
> There is an "Add Device" button on the devices
> page. I'd suggest using that,
> and entering /dev/scd1, which may well pick up your Sony
> optical drive.
>
> Then (perhaps after a reboot) see if K3b will detect dvd
> media in your Sony
> optical drive.
>
> Just some thoughts, and only trying to help.
>
> Nigel.
>

> --

Thanks lots of great ideas! I now remember years ago angry posts somewhere about the failed verify.

The verify was not the problem (see original post). The big problem was the locking up of my drive and the ruining of 4 blanks! I had to reboot! If there is an error, kill the whole thing and unlock the drives.OK!

The eject even locked up and after I did a kill -9, something was still running as evidenced by GKRellm. I had to reboot!
F9 only took 2-3 hours and that is because I waited a few weeks after release.

Hey...email me and I'll burn the CDs or DVDs and mail them to you!