F9 - F10 Upgrade Left only GRUB prompt

M A Young m.a.young at durham.ac.uk
Wed Nov 26 22:25:03 UTC 2008

On Wed, 26 Nov 2008, Richard England wrote:

> I used preupgrade (1.0.0-1.fc9.noarch) to upgrade a Dell Latitude laptop from
> F9 to F10. Every thing seemed to go fine but on reboot I'm getting only a
> GRUB prompt.

If you get a grub> prompt, that means it can't find the grub.conf
configuration file (or possibly that that file is corrupt). You could try
something like
configfile (hd0,0)/grub/grub.conf
or
configfile (hd0,0)/boot/grub/grub.conf
and see if you can find it manually - tab completion is very useful in
telling you if you are looking in the right place. "help" will list the
available commands, and you can read a file via "cat". Incidentally
(hd0,0) is the first partition of the first disk, probably sda1

 	Michael Young