preupgrade fails

Colin Brace cb at lim.nl
Thu Nov 27 15:16:27 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I am trying to upgrade an F9 system to F10 using preupgrade.

First, preupgrade complains there isn't enough space on the boot partition:

    Not enough space in /boot/upgrade to download install.img.

    The installer can download this file once it starts, but this requires a
wired network connection during installation.

Fine, I go ahead, and it downloads all the RPMs.

Then, when everything is done, it prompts for a reboot. I click the "reboot"
button, and this text is displayed in the terminal window:

   Probing devices to guess BIOS drives. This may take a long time.

After twenty minutes I give up waiting, and reboot manually.

After rebooting, the system can't find the .img file, so it offers to
download one from a local FTP mirror, displaying what looks like an
authentic URL. But it refuses to accept it, no matter how many times I press
"continue", even though there should be a live LAN connection.

If offers to allow me to continue "manually" but of course I don't have a
local DVD image on hand. So, I reboot, and am back in F9.

Any suggestions on how to get this working? My /boot partition (non-LVM) is
99MB, of which 49MB is in use. Does anyone know how big the .img file is and
whether there is anything I can delete in /boot to make room for it?

TIA

-----
  Colin Brace
  Amsterdam