preupgrade fails

stan goedigi89__e at cox.net
Thu Nov 27 18:10:33 UTC 2008

Colin Brace wrote:

> stan-40 wrote:
>> If you go look in /var/cache/yum/updates/packages or
>> /var/cache/yum/fedora/packages, are all the downloaded RPMs
>> there?  It might have created its own cache called
>> preupgrade under the yum directory.  If they are, you should
>> be able to continue with the manual.
>>

> Yep, I see more than 1000 F10 packages in: /var/cache/yum/updates/packages
>
> Not sure how to continue with a manual install, as you suggest. Can I imply
> install these RPMs with rpm or yum? And what about the .img file? Do I still
> need that?

It's a little more complicated than that.  The manual
upgrade process is described at the link below.  It involves
installing the new repository links into your
/etc/yum.repos.d/ directory and running yum upgrade.  It
then would use all of the packages and upgrade everything on
your system.  It is the procedure that preupgrade replaces.
  I used it for an upgrade from F5 to F7 and it worked.

These are the current instructions for upgrading from a DVD.
  I haven't done this, but if you can get it started it will
use your local packages for the upgrade.
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/install-guide/f10/en_US/sn-upgrade-tree.html

These are the instructions for a manual live upgrade, where
you do all the work of preupgrade, which is your situation.
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Tools/yum/YumUpgradeFaq#Upgrading_Fedora_Using_Yum

As far as the .img file, if you can find it on the mirrors,
and put it in one of the  locations where preupgrade expects
to find it, you could just complete your preupgrade
installation.