has K3B been abandoned?

Tim ignored_mailbox at yahoo.com.au
Fri Nov 28 10:27:49 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-11-27 at 09:48 -0500, Gene Heskett wrote:
> I have never had a drive, and by now I've had 7 or 8 of them hit the
> bin, a computer compatible cd or dvd drive that recognized a disk in
> under 30 seconds.

I can't say that I've timed them, but I'd guess my experience is getting
close to that.  Most drives are slow to figure out that there's a disc
in, spin up, find out what type, and then the OS has to periodically
probe the drive to see if it's not empty (there's a hardware disc change
flag, but I'm told it's rarely made use of, where the drive tells the
system there's been a disc change).

The best drive I've got is an older, 6x spin speed, SCSI CD-ROM.  It's
faster to get going, is faster to restart after it's gone idle for a
moment, and very fast to seek across the drive.  Because of that, for
many things it's quicker to use than a faster spin speed drive.  Of
course it was a damn expensive drive, and none of my current systems
have a SCSI host.

--
[tim at localhost ~]$ uname -r
2.6.27.5-41.fc9.i686